Thousands of years of Scottish history can be uncovered in Highland Perthshire. Our Iron Age predecessors built crannogs, dwellings on stilts, above the waters of Loch Tay and the Scottish Crannog Centre, by Kenmore, offers the opportunity of seeing how they lived.
The Romans reached as far as Fortingall which is also known for its 5,000 year old Yew tree in the grounds of the local Church.
In the 9th Century, Kenneth McAlpin merged the Picts and the Scots into one nation and established Dunkeld as Scotland’s first religious capital.
Highland Perthshire is the home of many castles, a prime example of which is Blair Castle, the seat of the Dukes of Atholl, which dates back to 1269.
The shores of Loch Tay were at one time the home to many small farming communities but these were largely destroyed in the times of the ‘Highland Clearances’. Many remains of these small communities can still be seen on the lochsides and on the hills above the loch, noteably in what is left of the old village of Lawers on the shore south of the modern Lawers village.
Signs of earlier communities may also be seen in the shape of ancient stone circles, standing stones and carved ‘ring and cup’ markings on the rocks around the northern shores. All are within a short drive of the Quaich.