About The Quaich The Quaich - Things to Do The Quaich - Things to See The Quaich - Booking and Availability The Quaich - Reviews
The Quaich - Image Gallery The Quaich - Things to Do The Quaich - Touring the Area The Quaich - Sport and Leisure The Quaich - Shopping, Food, and Drink
The Quaich - Image Gallery




Touring the Area

Pheasant. Photograph by Perthshire photographer Ron Allner, from The Studio, Killin. Reproduced with his kind permission. All images on The Quaich website are Copyright the photographer.  All Rights ReservedThere are many amazing scenic tours around the Loch Tay area.  Two are detailed below, both of which start within a short drive from the Quaich.  Others are listed on www.aberfeldy.co.uk

Fortingall Tour – from Aberfeldy head north on the B846 passing the Black Watch Memorial and continue over Wade’s Bridge built in the 18th century.

After a mile or so reach the village of Weem with its historic kirk and attractive forest walk.  Just beyond the village lies the 16th Century Castle Menzies, which hosted Bonnie Prince Charlie on his way to the Battle of Culloden in 1746. 


A short distance from the Castle, browse the speciality wines, foods and art at the House of Menzies. 

A few miles on, a visit to the craft workshops of Keltneyburn Smiddy is well worthwhile followed by a walk round Fortingall village to see the Fortingall Yew – a mighty tree over 5000 years old and Europe’s oldest living resident!

Continue to Fearnan and onto the A827 to Kenmore, a charming conservation village that offers speciality shopping in Taymouth Courtyard and the Scottish Crannog Centre, an award winning reconstruction of an Iron Age loch dwelling.

On the way back to Aberfeldy pass the 19th century Taymouth Castle and visit the hillside woodlands and spectacular views of Bolfracks Gardens.



Tay Valley Tour – as with the Fortingall Tour, head north out of Aberfeldy onto the B846. 

Just  before the Ailean Chraggan Hotel turn right at the junction to Strathtay.  A couple of miles further on are the lovely Cluny House Gardens, then onto Stathtay. 

Turn right at this point and cross the Grandtully Bridge, which stands above a set of rapids that are regularly used for international canoe competitions. 

Turn right again at the main A827 back into Aberfeldy but first pop into Legends of Grandtully, a chocolatier, crafts and antique shop. 

Just after Grandtully village turn off the road and follow the signs to St Mary’s Chapel.  This remarkable church has a detailed and well-preserved painted ceiling dating back to 1626. 

Nearing Aberfeldy visit Dewar’s World of Whisky, which has an impressive, interactive visitor centre and browse through the crafted furniture and giftware of Spirit of Wood, which is located just a little further up a track beyond the distillery.



Top of Page Helios Internet Systems